If you’re suffering from headaches or migraines and you want a natural solution, visit Craig S. Rubenstein DC, DACBN, CCN in New York City or Medford, Long Island. Using a combination of chiropractic neurology, applied kinesiology, and clinical nutrition, Dr. Rubenstein can reduce the inflammation and irritation associated with many types of headaches. Schedule a personalized consultation today by calling or booking an appointment online.
What causes a headache?
Headaches are common, but recurring headaches or migraines might indicate an underlying health problem, a nutritional deficiency, a food allergy, or a nervous system imbalance. Some of the more common causes of headaches are:
- Hemisphericity: when there’s a significant imbalance between the two sides (hemispheres) of the brain
- Upper neck: issues here influence the whole nervous system and blood flow systems
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ): the jaw influences muscles covering the sides of the head and can affect input into the brain
- Stress: caused by emotional or physical tension; often called tension or muscle-contraction headaches
- Diet: often caused by caffeine, sugar, alcohol, gluten, or other food allergies
- Blood sugar imbalances: episodes of low blood sugar or hypoglycemia can trigger many types of headaches or migraines
- Acupuncture meridian imbalances: disturbances in the acupuncturist circuits that cover the head; especially the gallbladder meridian
- Muscular trigger points: these areas of spasm in specific muscles can be major headache generators
- Lifestyle: changes in sleep patterns, exercise habits, or dehydration
- Stimulation: sensory triggers like bright lights, loud noises, or obnoxious smells
Is it a migraine or a headache?
Migraines are a severe type of headache, and they can last hours or even days before the pain subsides. The most common signs of a migraine include:
- Excruciating throbbing in the head lasting 4-72 hours
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Hearing disturbances
- Exhaustion or fatigue
While over-the-counter pain relievers can alleviate most headaches, migraines often don’t respond to treatment and may need more powerful interventions. If you’re having recurring headaches or headaches associated with other debilitating symptoms, contact Dr. Rubenstein for a personal evaluation.
How is a headache treated?
Dr. Rubenstein uses a combination of functional neurology, applied kinesiology, and clinical nutrition to treat headaches and migraines. By reducing inflammation and irritation in the body, headaches subside or dwindle in intensity or frequency.
Dr. Rubenstein’s treatments are tailored to each patient to balance their nervous, hormonal, and vascular systems, providing both short- and long-term relief.
Specific one-sided spinal adjustments are typically employed to help balance right and left brain functions, and improve circulation in the head. Often, this melts away the pain and other symptoms that accompany intense headaches.
Dr. Rubenstein may also provide nutritional guidance to keep your headaches or migraines at bay.
Dr. Rubenstein treats the underlying causes of your headaches and enables you to get you back to your everyday activities pain-free. For a personalized consultation about headaches or migraines, contact the office by calling or booking an appointment online today.